A living being is a concrete object which does peculiar actions. Living beings can be classified in to two categories with respect to human sense. One category is sensible living beings; which are like animals, plants, etc. The second category is super sensible living beings; whose activities are not identifiable through the sense organs and so they are not generally identifiable through the sense organs directly. Living beings can be also classified in to natural and artificial living beings; living beings with and with out happiness/sadness feelings.
Key words: living being, super natural force, life
This paper gives universal definition for ‘living being (living thing)’ and explains the characteristics of living beings with examples. Living beings are categorized in this paper. This paper includes explanation on super sensible living beings, which are known as super natural forces. A formula, derived from the definition to quantify the livelihood of a living being is provided.
A living being is a concrete object which does peculiar (strange/abnormal/distinguished) actions.
The entire natural animal and plant world on the Earth has got some common properties like having genes, reproducing, growing, consuming food, etc. But, our perception of their livelihood does not depend largely on these specific properties only; and these need not be the properties for living beings through out the universe.
Living beings are objects (to be understood as concrete matter objects) doing peculiar activities in their environment. This is how we perceive livelihood wholly.
Generally, the action peculiarity of an object comes by its operational complexity and operational complexity comes by its complex structure.
For example, if we consider human,
Human is known as a living being because human sees, walks, eats, talks, thinks, etc.; all of which are distinguished/peculiar activities in nature. All these are peculiar activities because they are very complex (This complexity is rare) activities in nature. Human has got this operational complexity by his complex body organization (structure).
A. Sensible Living Beings:
The living beings, whose livelihood (peculiar actions) can be identified through the sense organs directly.
· We can identify the actins of an animal (making sounds, walking, eating, etc).
· We can identify the growth, flowering and giving of fruits in trees. So their
Peculiar actions (livelihood) are sensible.
· We can identify the activities of a microbe by seeing through a microscope (using the sense organ - eye for identification).
B. Super Sensible Living Beings:
The living beings, whose livelihood cannot be identified through sense organs directly, but may be identifiable indirectly through the identification and understanding of their effects on their environment.
· Super sensible living beings are living objects, which do not have sensually directly identifiable peculiar actions of living; but have peculiar actions through interactions like electro-magnetic interactions, electric interactions, magnetic interactions, etc…; within themselves and the environment. For example, we can not identify a computer as executing an application by seeing the CPU hardware box of a computer. We can identify the computer as a working machine only by observing it through a monitor designed to observe the operations of the computer. Similarly, we may not be able to directly identify some super sensible living beings in the nature, which are a part of it; as they do not exhibit any sensually directly identifiable activities.
· Let us consider a model(Model for illustration, not proposed) for a natural super sensible living being
Gods’ idols and dhvajasthambas in temples:
1. The idols of Gods in temples (These idols are filled with life through specialized procedures mentioned in Vedic scripts) are mostly stones or alloys, which are all metallic and so they can sense and process the radiation signals around them in a very good manner. Thus, they can easily interact with humans’ brain (Super sensible system in brain) and other super sensible living beings.
2. Dhvajasthambas, which are tall poles existing in temples contain pancha-loha (Alloy of Gold, Silver, Copper, Zinc and Iron) as the external covering layer and flag shaped top. A Dhvajasthamba is fixed in front of the God’s idol in the temple. Dhvajasthamba acts as an antenna and processing system with pedestal that establishes communication between the Gods idol in the temple and other super sensible networks in its environment through radiation (Dhvajasthamba is filled with its required attributes through specialized procedures mentioned in Vedic scripts). Thus, devotees can better communicate with the bigger super sensible systems through the god’s idol and dhvajasthambas in the temple.
· Actually, nothing in this universe can be super natural. Some of the super sensible living beings are interpreted as super natural forces in some literatures and societies, as they could not be identified directly.
· Like the sensible living beings on the Earth form a very complex environment, super sensible living beings also possess a structured and complex environment in the universe and so on the Earth also.
· These living beings can affect or interact with the sensible living beings and the environment in which super sensible living beings exist. It is possible that some systems in our bodies can interact with super sensible living beings or be super sensible living beings themselves. An animal body cell can function as an animal’s fundamental building unit and some part of the cell could be also working as a building block of a super sensible system.
We some times get some thoughts, dreams, sixth sense of some things happening or going to happen due to this type of interaction of some bridge system in our brain or our environment with brain and some super sensible natural living system in the environment. That super sensible system can be a very big network spread over the Earth or in the universe.
A. Natural Living Beings:
· These are the living beings existing naturally. These can be either sensible living beings or super sensible living beings.
B. Artificial Living Beings:
· Computers and other man made electronic machines are artificial living beings as they behave peculiarly. Artificial living beings can be either sensible living beings like mechanical engines or super sensible living beings like computer processing units.
A. Living Beings With Happiness/Sadness Feelings:
· The living beings with happiness/sadness feelings.
B. Living Beings With Out Happiness/Sadness Feelings:
· The living beings with out happiness/sadness feelings.
1. The peculiar activities of some living beings can be directly sensed through the sense organs and identified. In the case of some living beings, their livelihood can not be identified directly through the sense organs, but can be sometimes understood by observing their effects on their environment (that is, their indirect effects can be sensed and from the analysis of their indirect effects, existence of corresponding living beings can be understood). Let us call the living beings with directly identifiable livelihood as sensible living beings and the latter as super sensible living beings.
2. Living beings interact with their environment.
3. Since environmental conditions and/or constituent elements of a concrete object can change with time and place in the universe, livelihood of a concrete object can change with time and place.
4. A concrete object can be a compound living being. In a compound living being, different living beings share the same matter content and are either dependent on each other or independent on each other for survival.
Example 1: A computer can act as both a part of internet and as an independent system. Here, internet is a lively network and an independent computer also is a lively system. So, internet is a compound lively system where many lively sub systems coexist in it.
Example 2: A man lives as a sensible living being while some part of his brain is a super sensible living being or part of a super sensible living network.
Example 3: The Earth can be considered as a big living being because of its very peculiar properties in the known universe. Animals and trees are small living beings on the Earth.
By fixing certain object as a standard reference, lively-hoods of other objects can be measured. Since the livelihood of a concrete object can be expressed relative to livelihoods of other concrete objects, all objects have livelihood from 0 to the most.
The very common activities of objects in nature like ‘moving on application of force’, ‘absorbing heat when heated’, etc. can be considered as near zero peculiar activities. ‘Reading a book’ is an activity with much peculiar value. So, rocks and stones are near zero lively sensible living beings. Plants and Animals are sensible living beings with much livelihood.
If we take the human being as standard reference and take the livelihood of human as 1 L (1 unit),
Livelihood of human = total peculiarity of human actions
= sum of peculiarities of different types of human actions like eating,
memorizing, walking, reading, seeing, listening, thinking, etc..
= 1 L
To measure the livelihood of coconut tree, total peculiarity of actions of coconut tree has
to be compared to the total peculiarity of actions of human.
Livelihood of coconut tree= Total relative peculiarity of actions of coconut tree
= sum of relative peculiarities of actions like flowering, growing,
giving coconuts, etc… with respect to the total peculiarity of
actions of a human.
= 0.5 L (assume).
1. Living Being:
A living being is a concrete object which does peculiar actions.
2. Sensible Living Beings:
The living beings, whose livelihood can be identified through the sense organs directly.
3. Super Sensible Living Beings:
The living beings, whose livelihood cannot be identified through the sense organs directly, but may be identifiable indirectly through the identification and understanding of their effects on their environment.